Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Notes on Shame


History of shame and sexuality. How theater uniquely reduces shame.  Many of the tools in this book were developed specifically to reduce shame around sexual decision-making. Some evaluation interpretation here. 

Some questions from FYI's eval related to shame:
I feel more comfortable talking about sex after the play
I think my ideas were important to this play
I had something in common with one of the characters in this play
I heard someone say or ask something during the play that I was afraid to say or ask
I heard a question in the play that I will ask in my own life


1 comment:

Unknown said...

NITT Teens at the Table Forum 12/12/12 was super cool, wanted to share what one man Paul Fagan had to say. He works through CISC with one school in particular, pioneered an in-school program called Keeping the Peace. 12 HS students have been trained to facilitate mediation sessions in the school Peace Room. They are on-call while in school, 2 per shift, so that when other students request a session, they can facilitate.

He talked about the skills involved in peaceful conflict resolution - listening, telling your own story, envisioning violence-free solutions - and how they are learned. But what for me was so revolutionary was the way he talked about skills for dealing with conflict

(Paraphrasing here:) Students already have skills and tactics for dealing with conflict before coming to school, and whether or not they are skills that are ideal for a school setting they do work - the students make it to school in one piece.

I was floored by his affirmation of student choices outside of school. Or if not the choices they made, the right to make them. So cool to see how our framework of sex-positive language can be extended to ideas on violence/choice, being generally choice-positive. So cool to see how removing shame and stigma from choices youth make/have made allows them to learn new tactics while in school.

Also useful framework for us - being able to identify your emotions as you experience them during moments of conflict/stress allows you to make decisions where your emotions are A but not the Only factor.